Home

About the Library

Policies

Search Catalog

Research Tools

Links

Events Calendar

Computer Classes

Book News

Adult Programs

Teen Programs

Kids' Programs

Directions

Contact Us

Other Libraries

History of the Rockaway Township Library

quilt
(1954-1966)

Mrs. Mary Adler founded the first library location in the cloakrooms of the Marcella Community Club.

A second library location was also established at the White Meadow Lake Clubhouse. In 1966, the Marcella Community Club station moved to the Hibernia School.
              

(1968)

The Township officially incorporates the Rockaway Township Free Public Library, and the White Meadow Lake Clubhouse became the first branch in September.
The library owned 8,741 books, had about 500 registered borrowers and  circulated about 15, 000 books.

(1970)

The Lions Club purchased the Holy Trinity Lutheran Church on Green Pond Road and donated the building as temporary housing until a municipal complex could be built.

The  building dedication took place in April 1970. This is the current location of the Hibernia Branch.

Birchwood School patron for library

(1971)

Rockaway Township Library
expanded to 3 branches


Birchwood School
Green Pond Road (Church)
White Meadow Lake Clubhouse


Walter Adler Dedication

(1973)

The Main Reading Room is dedicated to Walter Adler, who led the drive
for the Rockaway Township library building.

(1981)

In May, the new Rockaway
Township Library opened its doors
 at 61 Mount Hope Road.

The Holy Trinity Lutheran Church building on Green Pond Road was kept as the Hibernia branch for residents of the northern end of the township.

RT Library Youth Center

(1985)

The Rockaway Township Library
"Youth Center" is dedicated.

The children's book collection is
shelved in this area.


Sunday Hours Added for Library

(2002)

In January 2002, Library Director
Jeanette Cohn added Sunday hours
at the library:

1 to 4 pm from September through May weekly.

40th Anniversary Party
(2008)

Rockaway Township Library
celebrates its 40th Anniversary with
a 1968 style party at the library on September 21, 2008.

 

 

-----