The Rockaway Township Free Public Library seeks an enthusiastic, tech-savvy, customer service-oriented part time librarians to join our team. Located in central Morris County the Library serves over 24,000 residents as well as its surrounding areas as part of the Morris Automated Information Network (M.A.I.N.). Voted 2nd best library in Morris County in 2017 by the Daily Record’s Best of the Best Reader’s Choice Awards the Library strives to provide our patrons with an exceptional customer service experience. The Rockaway Township Library, the heart of our community, offers an innovative and engaging public environment as well as resources to support the cultural, intellectual, and lifelong learning needs of the Rockaway Township community.
PART TIME LIBRARY ASSISTANT
9 hours per week and 1 Saturday (8 hours) per month.
Some evening hours are required, may include Friday evenings.
STARTING SALARY and Benefits
12 Vacation Days
15 Sick Days
2 Personal Days
Performs responsible clerical and paraprofessional circulation or other duties under the direction of the Supervising Library Assistant and supervision of the Library Director.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB
- Charges and discharges library materials, collects fines, registers new patrons and issues library cards.
- Assists the public in use of library resources and equipment.
- Answers questions on library organization, holdings, policies and procedures.
- Checks and maintains shelves to ensure correct order.
- Retrieves periodicals to fill patron requests.
- Accepts reserves for library materials, handles interlibrary loan requests and notifies patrons when items are available.
- Opens building at the start of the business day and closes the building at the end of the day.
- Handles overdue notices in accordance with library policy.
- Prepares books and other library materials for the collection including labeling, marking, pocketing, mending and reinforcing.
- Collects data for statistical reports.
- Maintains library membership applications for completeness as to name, address and similar personal identification and records changes in this information
- Performs other duties as assigned by management.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES
- Thorough knowledge of library and clerical terminology, library procedures, use of computers and other equipment.
- Ability to deal tactfully and courteously with the general public and to maintain effective working relationships with other library staff.
- Ability to maintain established library records and files.
- Knowledge of books and background in literature helpful.
- Ability to stimulate interest and encourage participation in reading and other library activities.
- Strong organizational ability.
- Ability to comprehend, analyze and interpret regulations, policies and procedures of the library.
- Ability to read, write speak, understand and communicate in English sufficiently to perform the duties of this position.
- High school graduate or equivalent.
- Previous library experience or some college or library courses preferred.
- Familiarity with computers.
- Ability to read and write in English.
- Rockaway Township Residency required.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include Pt Library Assistant Position in the subject.
Rockaway Township Free Public Library
61 Mount Hope Rd
Rockaway, NJ 07866