The Rockaway Township Free Public Library seeks an enthusiastic, tech-savvy, customer service-oriented part time librarians to join our team. Located in central Morris County the Library serves over 24,000 residents as well as its surrounding areas as part of the Morris Automated Information Network (M.A.I.N.). Voted 2nd best library in Morris County in 2017 by the Daily Record’s Best of the Best Reader’s Choice Awards the Library strives to provide our patrons with an exceptional customer service experience. The Rockaway Township Library, the heart of our community, offers an innovative and engaging public environment as well as resources to support the cultural, intellectual, and lifelong learning needs of the Rockaway Township community.
PART TIME REFERENCE SERVICES LIBRARIAN
Up to 10 hours per week.
Schedule to be determined, evenings and weekend hours required.
STARTING SALARY: $28.66 hourly
Benefits include: 15 vacation days, 15 sick days, and 2 personal days
Provides reference and other library services for the general public requiring substantial professional knowledge of and experience with librarianship theories, principles and practices.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB
- Answers reference questions covering a wide range of difficulty.
- Provides bibliographic instruction, which includes use of the internet, CD ROM databases, indexes, directories and other print and online reference sources.
- Provides readers’ advisory services.
- Assists patrons in making effective use of library equipment.
- Develops and weeds assigned subject areas of the adult collection.
- Assists in the selection and evaluation of electronic and print reference sources and delivers them in a form appropriate to the situation.
- Provides formal training and instruction in the effective use of electronic resources for the library staff and the public.
- Develops and conducts library programs such as library tours, book talks, film programs, reading clubs and so forth for the purpose of stimulating reading and/or to inform the community and various organization of available library services.
- Recommends the purchase or rental of library materials according to the unit or section assigned, taking into consideration priority needs and budget limitations.
- Composes publicity releases or program announcements for media, library newsletter or other publications.
- Determines content and arrangement of library materials for displays, exhibits and special library programs.
- Exchanges ideas, information and opinions with supervisors to formulate policies, procedures, programs and so forth in relation to assigned work.
- Issues assignments and instructs subordinate personnel in the performance of their work.
- Maintains computer hardware and software.
- Continues to develop skills by attending seminars and meetings of professional library groups and organizations for the purpose of keeping current with scientific and technical developments. Works with professional associations toward the improvement of methods and techniques of library services.
ADDITIONAL EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED
- Furnishes information on library activities, facilities and services.
- Stays knowledgeable with current events, popular and local culture.
- Prepares clear, accurate and informative narrative and statistical reports.
- Comprehends, analyzes and interprets rules, regulations, policies and procedures of the library.
- Organizes materials and resources using appropriate systems of access that are compatible with patrons’ needs and styles of learning.
- Gives talks before groups, organizations, patrons and co-workers.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of the theories, objectives, principles and techniques of librarianship.
- Knowledge of reference sources.
- Ability to supervise other employees.
- Presents welcoming behaviors and practices effective interviewing skills to best determine the patron’s actual needs.
- Ability to organize library work programs and procedures.
- Ability to give appropriate assignments to subordinates in the use of the library and its resources and in basic research methods.
- Ability to prepare clear, sound, accurate and informative statistical, financial and other library reports containing findings, conclusions and recommendations.
- Ability to work harmoniously with patrons and co-workers.
- Ability to find and implement alternative sources of funding.
- An ALA accredited MLS degree and a NJ Professional Librarian’s Certificate.
- Continuing education in the areas of reference services and related technology.
- Active participation in professional library associations and community organizations. Current knowledge of library trends and innovations.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Please include Pt Ref Librarian Position in the subject.
Rockaway Township Free Public Library
61 Mount Hope Rd
Rockaway, NJ 07866